Sunday, February 5, 2017

4089 and counting

It's Superbowl Sunday!  Just another reason for Americans to consume, consume and consume some more.  I'm not saying that I don't enjoy the game and the food, but do I need to buy balloons, party goods and special plates?  I think not.  The past several years have seen us host a party - lots of money spent on food, enjoying good times with our friends and then the biggie clean up the next day.  Most of the time I would take post-Superbowl Monday off because I had a messy house to straighten up.  Kind of crazy to sacrifice a PTO day to clean up after a party, right?

This year is different.  The hubs and I are going to stay in - just the two of us - make some special hamburgers (consisting of cooked bacon, shredded cheese and then topped with a cooked egg and avocado slices).  I might have a cocktail - I might not.  The hubs rode his bike 94 miles today so I don't expect him to last to half time, but he might surprise me as he is taking a little siesta while I write this.  I completed my first workout on my P90X3 DVDs today - a kick butt workout!  A simple Superbowl - I like it.

As I journey through this early retirement planning, the one chord that keeps striking with me is the word 'simple'.  I want a simple life.  As I look around our house, I can start to feel stress and angst.  It's a mess.  Not dirty - messy.  Both of us don't like to put things away and the hubs works from home, so it spills into other rooms instead of just the office.  There's a blog called 365 Less Things where this woman began decluttering one item a day for a whole year.  I think I will start today.  I looked at my desk and saw all these Bed, Bath & Beyond coupons sitting in one of the slots (it's a secretary desk).  I haven't shopped in that store since I don't know when.  If I shop nowadays, it's online.  If I need a BBB coupon, I can find it online.  Bye bye, BBB coupons!

I wonder what I will get rid of tomorrow..........

No comments:

Bits and pieces of our lives.